Ashley S. Westerman
+1-202-999-2862 (Cell, WhatsApp, Viber)
- Proven ability to report, write and edit digital/print stories.
- Proven ability to coordinate visuals and other web elements for digital stories.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, news-driven environment.
- Demonstrated expertise in radio/audio production.
- Fluency across social media platforms.
University of Kentucky
B.A. in Journalism and Political Science, Minor in Philosophy Graduated: May 2010
University of Maryland, CP
M.A. of Journalism
Graduated: December 2014
Available upon request.
NPR, Assistant Producer – “Morning Edition” and “Up First” Podcast
Washington, DC (Feb. 2015 – Present)
-Generate show content by pitching host interviews ideas, reporter story ideas and coordinating with editors and desks to execute coverage.
– Produce and write news reports, features, breaking news and original reporting.
-Oversee and execute major reporting projects in the field, foreign and domestic.
-Contribute reporting of digital stories to NPR.org and NPR’s various blogs.
HISTORY: Freelance Production Assistant (Feb.-June 2015); Hired as Production Assistant (June 2015), promoted to Assistant Producer (Feb. 2017)
(Aug. 2013 – Present) The Baltimore Sun, NPR, Free Speech Radio News
-Pitched and reported stories to various media outlets
UMD Capital News Service, Health Reporter – DC Bureau
(Sept. 2014 – Dec. 2014)
– Reported on Maryland’s Congressional Delegation on Capitol Hill and health care issues.
The Voice of America – English News Asian Division, Reporting Intern
Washington, DC (April to Aug. 2014)
-Reported/produced stories and other content out of Southeast Asia air on VOA Asia’s radio programs and VOA online.
89.3 WRKF, NPR Member Station, Reporter/Host
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Feb. 2012 – Nov. 2013)
-Reported daily news, features and breaking news.
-Hosted local “Morning Edition” and “All Things Considered” host and newscaster.
– Occasionally filed for NPR national newscast.
NPR, Summer Intern turned Freelance Producer – “Morning Edition”
Washington, DC (June 2011 – February 2012)
- Generated content by pitching show segments and story ideas.
- Produced and created news reports, features and breaking news.
Fellowships & Awards
International Center for Journalists, Community Health Reporting Fellow
Appalachia (Summer 2014)
International Center for Journalists, International Reporting Fellow
Manila, Philippines (July 2013)
1st Place General News, Louisiana AP Broadcasters Assoc. (WRKF, 2012)
1st & 3rd Place General News, Louisiana AP Broadcasters Assoc. (WRKF, 2013)
2nd Place Spot News, Louisiana AP Broadcasters Assoc. (WRKF, 2013)